Karson~Katelyn~Korver~Koda



Thursday, February 16, 2012

Wind Storm

The first part of December brought some crazy weather! During the night we heard the wind blowing pretty hard but didn't think much of it. I got up and went to work. It was still dark so it was hard to see how much damage had happened during the night. Not too long after being at work, I started to get phone calls and text messages about the amount of damage that was happening. We like many of the neighbors had damage done to our house and fence. The power was out for about 30 hours which made for an interesting sleep over with my mom and dad. Both grandparents lost their power too. My Grandma's was out for a couple days longer than ours too.








Karly had a basketball game the night of the wind storm so Kars and I fixed dinner at my parents for everyone. It was quite the party! I think Korv loved playing at their house but by the second day we were all ready to go back home.



I think the best part about this whole storm was watching everyone come together. I wish I would have taken more pictures of that! The Saturday after the storm, a young adult ward for Alpine came to help in our neighborhood. At that time, we had been told by the city that if we got everything out to the curb, they would bring truck around for the pick up. That young adult ward came around so quickly and chopped down our tree before we were even home from Bailey's baptism. Kars and I came home and worked on picking up the rest of the stuff and putting some new shingles on the roof. We were being told that another wind storm would be coming the next day and possibly snow this time. I did manage to get a picture of the pile on our curb before it was all hauled away.



Then Sunday came. About 15 minutes before church was to start, I received a message from my visiting teacher telling us that church had been cancelled but to show up in your working clothes in the chapel to help everyone get the piles taken to the dump. Korver went to play with Grandma Lyman and Kars and I headed to the church. What an amazing site! Trucks, trailers, and everything we needed to haul everything away. As we met, the Bishop informed us that the Stake leaders had driven around the stake and decided that church needed to be cancelled in order to get everything cleaned up before the storm came later that day. The fear was that all this stuff laying around would be blown around and become very dangerous. We started at the top of the ward and worked toward the bottom. Street by street, truck after truck, loading all the stuff to be hauled away. What an amazing thing! Watching the news later that night, that was what was happening everywhere. The lines for the landfills were so long that they started designating other dumping spots that were run by the national guard. It was so crazy but what an amazing experience.

No comments: